The following are notes from an ASD talk I gave many years ago. (I think it was 2002.)
OPTIMIZE THE FUNCTION OF THE GUT
Over one-half of the immune system lies in the digestive tract. The human body contains more bacterial organisms than cells. Due to the influence of the gut on brain chemistry, the digestive tract must be free of any interference.
- Remove any pathogens (fungus, bacteria, parasites, food allergies)
- Repair the gut and the Secretory IgA immune barrier
- Replace necessary enzymes and nutrients
- Reinoculate with acidophilus, bifidus, and other “healthy” bacteria, and FOS and inulin
Fighting off yeast and bacteria
- Signs and symptoms of yeast overgrowth can be a rash, thrush, or simply behavioral abnormalities.
- Bacterial overgrowth can result in blood sugar handling problems, nutrient deficiencies, bloating, and fatigue, just to name a few.
- Understanding what you are trying to kill off (proper lab testing)
o Organic Acid Testing or Urine Dysbiosis Markers
o Microbial Stool Analysis with Sensitivity Culture
- Use the proper treatment for the pathogenic organism. (Nystatin, goldenseal, oregano, garlic, uva-ursi, caprilic acid, undecyn, biocidin)
- Be aware of the “die-off reaction.” (Bentonite clay, Spanish Black Radish)
Understanding food allergies
- An accurate test is one where there is no yeast in the GI tract; therefore, cleaning up the GI tract is the first step before allergy testing
- IgG – the hidden type, long lasting
- IgE – sudden, more intense, short duration
Keeping the yeast from coming back
- Hypha colonies and deep layers of yeast (hard to kill) biotin can be very effective
- Carbohydrate intake – yeast lives off of carbs
- Loss of the “healthy” bacteria, which keep yeast “in check”
- Tartaric acid is a yeast byproduct that affects the brain and biochemistry
- Foggy thinking, muscle weakness, depression, mood alterations
- Net effect on the Kreb’s cycle = improper glucose metabolism
- Naturally present in poultry, grape and lime juice, baking powder and cream of tartar
- Niacinamide will help block the effect of tartaric acid on the Kreb’s cycle
- Arabinose is formed by the breakdown of glucose or by yeast/bacterial conversion of arabitol. Also present in apples.
- Glutathione inhibits this conversion
Keeping the bacteria from coming back
- “Inventory” theory of gut bacteria with early administration of antibiotics and vaccines, especially the Clostridium bacteria. (Clostridium tetani from DPT) ~ IMMUNE TOLERANCE
- Carbohydrate intake
- Loss of the “healthy” bacteria
- Riboflavin (vitamin B2) feeds bacteria
Repair Secretory IgA
So the body does not digest the protein enzymes that attack yeast
- sIgA coats the harmful bacteria so they don’t stick to the intestinal mucosa and are therefore more easily killed and/or eliminated.
- Loss of sIgA leaves the gut looking like “Swiss cheese,” allowing for leaky gut syndrome = more food allergies.
- Loss of sIgA may allow for improper secretin response from the small intestine.
Repair the gut
- Glutamine, essential fatty acids (EPA, DHA, GLA)
- Stimulate hydrochloric (HCl) acid production in the stomach
- High insulin level many times present
- Yeast and bacteria influence sugar metabolism
o Biotin (made naturally from “good” bacteria if present)
o Sesamin (from sesame seed oil)
- Optimize the function of the pancreas with a proper diet
- Pancreatic enzymes when necessary
o Food dyes and colors inhibit enzymes
o Enzymes can’t work if bicarbonate isn’t present (lack of HCl?)
THE OTHER HALF OF THE IMMUNE SYSTEM: THE THYMUS AND SPLEEN
- Atrophy or “shrinking” of the immune tissue due to stress, much of which is chemical from altered brain chemistry and gut influences is seen in children with the Autism Spectrum Disorder.
- Gliotoxins are produced by yeast and fungi, which are toxic to the immune system. They break down T-lymphocytes and macrophages so infections are not fought properly and yeast is not kept “in check.”
o Regenerating sulfhydryl groups with sulfur containing supplements such as glutathione, cysteine, and lipoic acid can prevent the toxic effects. *If lipoic acid helps, think heavy metal toxicity.
o Sulfur containing foods are those that have a “bite,” such as garlic, onions, and hot peppers.
o Support the thymus with manual therapy techniques and supplementation when necessary.
- Histamine response from dysbiosis and food allergies creating a sympathetic response.
o Immune support – Spleen tissue, B6, Folic Acid
* B6 needs to be converted to P-5-P for the body to use it. This requires magnesium, riboflavin, phosphorus, and zinc.
- Understand the CBC blood test for optimum function
The Stomach – Where it all starts
- The stomach acid signals the small intestine to secrete secretin, which in turn tells the pancreas to release bicarbonate.
- Loss of HCl in the stomach, a stress-response symptom, will increase food allergies and lead to improper food digestion.
- Increase HCl when necessary
Measure saliva pH
Stimulate with manual therapy techniques and/or provide HCl supplementation
The big food allergies – GLUTEN AND CASEIN
- The peptides gluteomorphin and caseomorphin react with the opiate receptors in the brain. This influences the temporal region of the brain responsible for speech and auditory integration.
- The “withdrawal reaction,” when all your child will eat is nothing else.
o Give it time; your child will not starve to death.
- Omega 3 fats – fish and grass-fed meats (very good)
- Omega 6 fats – nuts & seeds (Stay away from refined vegetable oils, including Canola)
- PG2 (saturated) – red meat, dairy (butter!), shellfish, egg yolk, coconut (very necessary, especially for kids!)
- Hydrogenated fats – trans fats, margarine, shortening (never! – eliminate entirely)
- The effects of high insulin on fat metabolism – omega 6 fats will convert to inflammatory, PG2 fats; nutrients – Mg, B6, Zn, (also sometimes biotin, niacin, vitamin C)
The Heavy Metal (e.g. Mercury) Factor
Mercury gets into the body from:
- Vaccines: The thimerosal “preservative” in most vaccines is metabolized to ethyl-mercury in the body. The limits of mercury in vaccines far exceed government standards.
- Big fish – tuna, swordfish, shark
- Dental amalgams
- Just about all the signs and symptoms a person with the Autism Spectrum Disorder would exhibit
- Impairment of the pancreas function (bicarbonate, enzymes, glucose metabolism)
- Demyelation of the nerve cells
- Loss of serotonin = a depressed brain chemistry
Got Mercury? Tests to check:
- Hair (though may not show up if person is not excreting the metal)
- Blood (best only for short term exposure)
- Urine challenge (with some agent such as DMSA)
Remove the Hg
- Lipoic Acid
- Vitamin C
- Selenium, Manganese, Zinc, Chromium